Every Sunday, 9:00 AM - 10:15 AM
Church Community is Exhausting
Weekly September 10 through October 8
9 AM / Room 810
Join us for a four-week study on the blessings and struggles of being part of a church community. Have you wished you had more friends at church? Do you desire to grow in your faith? And at the same time, are you exhausted at the thought of adding another thing to your plate? Do you not know where to even begin? Join Joe Brown for a study of issues that Christians face when it comes to finding community: both ancient and modern. The main texts will be Dietrich Bonhoffer's 1939 book Life Together, Jack Miller's 1986 book Outgrowing the Ingrown Church , and Jim Davis and Michael's Graham's recently published book The Great Dechurching. Contact Joe Brown for more information.
|September 10, 2023||"The Problem"||Handout||Podcast Audio|
|September 17, 2023||"The Mission"||Handout||Podcast Audio|
|September 24, 2023||"The People"||Handout||Podcast Audio|
|October 8, 2023||"A Solution"||Handout||Podcast Audio|
Hymn Sing: Lift Up Your Voice
October 15 / 9 AM / Chapel & Room 810
Join us for a time of singing hymns and songs of praise meditating on God's provision, led by WEPC musicians and followed by Food and Fellowship in Room 810. Contact: Becca Wethered
My Hope and Treasure Lies Above
October 22 & 29 / 9 AM / Room 810
Who was the first American in print, the first American to publish poetry, and the first American woman to do so? She experienced infertility, an often absent husband, the deaths of a number of grandchildren, and she was an ancestor to Herbert Hoover and to Climate Czar John Kerry. There is a gate at Harvard named after her. Anne Bradstreet, that is who. And she loved Jesus with all her heart. Come learn about this sister in Christ and her beautiful poetry. Class taught by Steve Shelby.
What do Muslims believe and how can we speak to them with love and respect? Many Christians have an uninformed opinion about Islam. We studied and discussed the tenets, history, and practices of Islam through a video teaching series by Dr. James Anderson. This class was facilitated by individuals that are currently involved in outreach to the Muslim community.
Book of Revelation: Have you ever been confused about Revelation? Do you wonder whether this book of the Bible is relatable to your life? Revelation 17:14: "They will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with him are called and chosen and faithful."
|February 12, 2023||Revelation 1:1-8||Handout 1, Slides||Podcast Audio|
|February 19, 2023||Revelation 1:9-20||Handout 2||Podcast Audio|
|March 5, 2023||Revelation 2-3||Handout 3||Podcast Audio|
|March 12, 2023||Revelation 4-5||Handout 4||Podcast Audio|
|March 19, 2023||Revelation 6-7||Handout 5||Podcast Audio|
|March 26, 2023||Revelation 8-11||Handout 6||Podcast Audio|
|April 9, 2023 (Easter)||Revelation 12-14||Handout 7||Podcast Audio|
|April 16, 2023||Revelation 15-16||Handout 8||Podcast Audio|
|April 23, 2023||Revelation 17:1-19:10||Handout 9||Podcast Audio|
|April 30, 2023||Revelation 19:11-20:15||Handout 10||Podcast Audio|
|May 14, 2023||Revelation 21:1-22:5||Handout 11||Podcast Audio|
|May 21, 2023||Revelation 22:6-21||--||Podcast Audio|
When churches fail, pastors fall, and doubts rise, it is tempting to dunk your faith. What is driving the trend to "deconstruct" one's faith and how can we care for those who have left the church because of hypocrisy and sin? How can we build up our own faith? Led by Pastor Joe Brown and Brandon Blevins (Young Life Goochland).
- January 8: Class 1 Handout, Podcast audio
- January 15: Class 2 Handout, Podcast audio
- January 22: Class 3 Handout, Podcast audio
- January 29: Class 4 Handout, Podcast audio
Join Pastor Joe Brown as we dig deep into the Biblical passages related to human sexuality. Using the Bible and our denomination's report on human sexuality, this two month study will deal with such topics as sexual purity and homosexuality. Our hope is that the Gospel renews our minds and hearts and clarifies Christ's heart toward His people.
- September 18: Class 1 Handout, Podcast audio
- September 25: Class 2 Handout, Podcast audio
- October 2: Class 3 Handout, Podcast audio
- October 9: Class 4 Handout, Podcast audio
- October 16: Class 5 Handout, Podcast audio
- October 23: Class 6 Handout, Podcast audio
- October 26: Class 6.5 Handout on Transgenderism
- October 30: Class 7 Handout, Podcast audio
Class Questions and Answers
- Your neighbor says to you, "The Bible has been used to justify slavery. So if you think that is wrong now, then aren't you just on the wrong side of history to use the Bible to justify your homophobia?" How do you respond?
- Isn’t so much of the rules that the Pharisees enforce in the Bible… Leviticus? So can’t the argument be given that they are following God’s commands?
- If you enter or are drawn into a conversation about (fill in the blank), and our first response is to go to Scripture. Then we become aware the other conversationalist does not accept Scripture as a “legitimate” reference resource. How do we proceed? Or do we simply withdraw?
- How are we to respond when a church leader, member, and/or regular attender posts something on social media that celebrates an anti-biblical sexuality viewpoint?
- What is the ethical response to demands that we act and/or speak in a manner that indicates acceptance of a non-Biblical view of human sexuality?
- Your young adult niece has said that she is now male and wants you to use male pronouns for him and to call him his new male name. What do you do?
- A married fellow church member once said of his wife, “she can’t refuse me.” As in, she’s not permitted to refuse him sexually. Debate the biblical guidance and church-cultivated deception on this issue.
- When a person meets with elders to become a member and they believe that “God makes gay people,” first, would that even come up in the conversation? And would their answer prevent their membership?
- Your non-Christian gay biological brother invites you to his wedding to his husband. Do you go? What do you say to him either way?
- Do I treat my gay neighbor who also says he is a Christian as a brother in Christ?
- Your young adult son "comes out" to you as gay. What do you say? He wants to invite his boyfriend to Thanksgiving. What do you say? And why?
- Your SSA Christian friend tells you that she believes in a BSE, she prays for God to take away her homosexual desires, but it isn't "working." It's all-consuming to her and she worries that she will grow to hate herself and hate the church. "No one" seems to understand her struggle in the church. How do you respond?
- A common comment I've gotten from the affirming crowd is that "God created people with same sex attraction, and God can't make mistakes." How would you respond to this?
- Someone shows up at the Home Group that you are leading and he introduces himself as a Gay Christian. What do you say or do in the moment?
- Similar to the question above (Question 13 above), I’ve heard “God created people who strongly feel they have a different gender identity than their biological sex. If God can’t make mistakes, why would he do that?”
- Any thoughts about ‘asexual’ people? Not having an attraction for either gender?